Thursday, January 10, 2008

Spelling

The more I progress on this homeschooling journey, the more comfortable I am not having instructions all laid out for me. This is especially true in the area of spelling. So for next year I had decided to just use words that had been misspelled during other work such as compositions, dictation, etc. I had a weekly plan something like this:

Day One: Write words (cursive), Syllables (printing) / Mark with dictionary pronunciation

Day Two: Part of speech, Definition, Different endings

Day Three: Sentences

Day Four: Test

Day Five: Write spelling rules for words missed; Write words 5 times


So yesterday the first thing I read upon opening the LLATL Teacher Manual was this:

"Each week, your teacher will give you ten words from the Commonly Misspelled Words List in the Appendix at the back of the book. Add any misspelled words to the Personal Spelling List found in the Appendix in the Student Activity Book, or create your own Personal Spelling List on a separate piece of paper. Next, add any words you misspelled in your weekly dictation to your list. Add any misspelled words from any other writing you do during the week." Then it goes on to tell how to study those words.


WOW! I couldn't have described what I wanted to do better than that. So you can imagine that that tipped the scales greatly in favor of using LLATL.

No comments:

Three Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide