We were recently asked to review Artistic Pursuits, Senior High Book One, The Elements of Art of Composition by Brenda Ellis featuring European Art. Artistic Pursuits is an art curriculum that incorporates Elements of Art, Composition of Art, Art Appreciation, and Art History.
ABOUT ARTISTIC PURSUITS Grades 4-12 Books
- First semester (8 units of book) teaches Elements of Art
- Last semester (8 units of book) teaches Composition of Art
- Art appreciation and history are covered in each unit
- One to two mediums are introduced in each book
- Book 1 (2 semesters) teaches drawing skills.
- Book 2 (2 semesters) teaches color and painting media.
- A different period of art history is covered in each level
- The material is written directly to the student
- No previous art experience is necessary for teacher or student
- Each unit contains 4 lessons: Building a Visual Vocabulary, Art Appreciation and History, Techniques, and Application
Art supply packages are available on the website.
There are 16 units per book which you and your student can schedule as desired. If you do 2 lessons per week, it will take 32 weeks to complete a book. Each page is estimated to take 1 hour to complete.
NOTE: The K-3rd grade level is set up differently.
I was impressed with this quality product. I can’t wait until we can devote more time to these lessons this summer. But to give you a brief glimpse:
- Pages are printed on bright white, heavy paper
- Clear direction is given
- Pages are in color
- Lesson are reinforced through observing historical art
- Art history and appreciation is included
You can read here what other Crew members have to say about Artistic Pursuits.
Disclosure:This product was provided to our family for free as members of the 2009-2010 Old Schoolhouse Magazine Homeschool Crew. No further compensation was received. Reviews and opinions expressed in this blog are my own.