Friday, August 21, 2009

Sense and Sensibility Patterns

 

My 14 year old daughter loves dresses from other eras. So when we looked at the  Sense and Sensibility Patterns website, there was much oohing and aahing. When I asked her if she wanted to make the Girls' Edwardian Apron Pattern, she was excited at the possibility. (The Girls' Edwardian Apron was created as a companion pattern to the Ladies' Edwardian Apron.)


However, the implementation of the plan was not quite so exciting. The biggest hurdle was getting past the e-pattern. I am sure there must be some positives to using one since people request them, but the negatives listed on the Sense and Sensibility website were definitely true for us. But we finally got the pattern all taped together (after several hours) and were able to get started on the actual sewing.

The remainder of the snags were due to our inexperience. The website says that this pattern is a great mother-daughter project to teach sewing. And I would agree. However, I didn't have enough experience doing pattern sewing to be much help.  And my daughter has only taken 2 basic sewing classes and has not sewn anything on her own yet. So I was a bit nervous about how this project would progress. Thankfully, the pattern itself is quite basic. But without the e-class I do not think she would have made it through. The e-class includes slide visuals in PDF and an audio class in MP3 format. When the pattern instructions weren't making sense, she would go back and listen to that portion of the class before proceeding.

The apron did turn out so we survived. But it isn't a project I would recommend for a beginner working alone. I would, however, highly recommend anyone with experience to check out these fabulous patterns. They look really fun and I can't wait until my daughter is more skilled! (Just remind me to order a paper pattern next time.)

Please take time to check out the Sense and Sensibility website and also the other Crew reviews.


Disclosure:This product was provided to our family for free as members of the 2009-2010 Old Schoolhouse Magazine Homeschool Crew. No further compensation was received. Reviews and opinions expressed in this blog are my own.

No comments:

Three Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide