Write With the Best, Volume 2, for 6th-12th graders, teaches expository and informative writing. Students learn these skills by modeling great authors of world literature.
Included in these 20 weeks of lessons:
* Free Verse Poetry - Emily Dickinson (10 lessons)
* Business Letters - Helen Keller (10 lessons)
* Notetaking, Outlines, Summaries (10 lessons)
* Persuasive Essays - Thomas Paine (10 lessons)
* Expository Essays - Francis Bacon (10 lessons)
* Literary Critiques - Edgar Allan Poe (10 lessons)
* Book Reviews (10 lessons)
* Newspaper Articles - Ernest Hemingway (10 lessons)
* Speeches - Marcus Tullius Cicero (10 lessons)
* Dramatic Monologues - Shakespeare (10 lessons)
Clearly defined objectives lead the student step by step through analysis of the featured literature then through the writing assignment. A "How to Write Guide" and a "Proofreading Checklist" are included for each writing genre. These can be used both in this course and future writing practice. There are also additional literary passages included so this course can be completed more than once by the same student if desired.
Volume 2 builds on foundations taught in Volume 1 so it is recommended that you start at the beginning unless your student is very strong in descriptive writing.
- Material is written directly to the student
- Clearly defined lesson objectives
- Step by step instruction
- How to Write Guide
- Proofreading Checklists
- Inexpensive ($24.95 Ebook) - Currently on sale for $18.65
- The text layout may be a little difficult for visual learners (One reason why the generous free samples of their products are nice.)
My 9th grader daughter is currently using another writing program, but I hope to return to Write With the Best in the near future. I feel the age range of 6th-12th grade is fairly accurate. You would obviously expect more detailed work from a 12th grader than a 6th grader. And a less skilled student may need more assistance.
Stay tuned for my review of The Complete Career, College, and High School Guide for Homeschoolers, also an EDUDPS product. For now you can read these EDUDPS reviews from my Crew mates.
Disclosure:This product was provided to our family for free as members of the 2009-2010 Old Schoolhouse Magazine Homeschool Crew. No further compensation was received. Reviews and opinions expressed in this blog are my own.