Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Spelling Success Continues

Dd4 has now mastered the sounds for "th", "ch", and "sh". She successfully spelled the following words from dictation (not having seen them written):

fish
ship
much
shop
bath
this

There are two ways that we drill the phonograms. One is where I show her the phonogram and she tells me the sounds that it makes. The other is that I dictate the sounds to her and she tells me the phonogram. She can do both fluently for A-Z, th, ch, and sh.

Not only is her reading and spelling doing really well. Her enunciation is getting clearer with each step we complete in her spelling program.

She also knows the following:

The vowels are A, E, I, O, U and sometimes Y.
A consonant is any letter that isn't a vowel.
Every word has at least one vowel.
A vowel's first sound is short.
Names start with a capital letter.

No comments:

Three Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide